vendredi 1 mai 2020

Wonderful memories of climbing with some really great mates over the years Number 5.

Wonderful memories of climbing with some really great mates over the years Number 5.

Karl Marsh was another friend from my school days. I left school at 16 and spent the next year at Cecol (Civil Engineering College) learning how to mix concrete correctly, lay pipes and kerbstones, fix reinforced steel, make concrete shutters, etc. It was near Kings Lynn, which is one of the flattest parts of the UK and therefore there was absolutely no chance of any climbing.

After I finished at Cecol, I returned to Abergele and started working in the trade. Soon I had too much money for a lad of seventeen. I used to get up at 5h30, catch the 6h30 train to Chester, then catch a bus to the site, work until 18h, catch a bus to Chester, and then the train back home. I'd get home around 19h30 if everything went to plan, feeling pretty tired to say the least.

Every Thursday night I'd meet Karl at The Hesketh Arms in Abergele (despite both of us being only seventeen) and drink beer until closing time. Friday mornings were always hard work.

Karl was a really laid back character with an eclectic collection of LP's (Led Zep, Sabbath, Purple, UFO, etc). He was a big dope smoker (but I never got involved with any of that) and often had a contented far-away look in his eyes. He started coming out climbing with us. To be fair, Karl wasn't really into climbing, he used to come along for the craic, he was simply happy to have a good time with us. He was always good fun and nice to have around. "Lark's a bumbly" is a climb at Forwyn that was named after him.

We went to Stanage in April '77 on my motorbike. We spent both nights sleeping rough behind the toilets in Hathersage!

Last I heard, a couple of years ago, he was living like a hermit in the woods above Sychnant Pass, behind Conwy. Hope he's ok.






























Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire