dimanche 3 mai 2020

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 11.

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 11.

More or less straight after finishing at Brighams I broke one of my heels, I fell off trying to solo the aptly named "Brush Off" at Helsby. I hesitated and lost momentum on the delicate moves high up. I asked Elaine to get me a top rope. It took ages for her to set one up and I couldn't hang on any longer. She peered over the top of the crag at the very moment I hit the little ledge at the bottom and jack-knifed onto the sandy slope.

Whilst convalescing at my parents home that summer, I got to know a red haired lad, who lived around the corner. His name was Huw Watkins, he developed into a fine climber and he regularly climbed with John, Brian and I, we had lots of fun together.

Sadly Huw had psychological issues caused by LSD and alcohol used to send him into a deeply depressed state. Unfortunately "Space Case" at Forwyn is named after him. I think that was a cruel twist regarding what happened to him.

We all still miss him.
Huw Watkins.

Huw Watkins bouldering at Hyll Drem, on a rainy day in 1980.

Huw Watkins leading "Wind" on the Grochan.

Huw Watkins leading "Burgess Wall" at Forwyn in 1980.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire