jeudi 7 mai 2020

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 15.

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 15.

Alan Stewart.

After moving to Runcorn I had plenty of time on my hands, whilst trying to find a job. Time to reacquaint myself with Pex Hill. Al Stewart was the first climber I met there. At the time he was working for Oldham Batteries and he was able to squeeze in visits to Pex in between his rdv's, so we used to meet up there.

Al was really keen to show me other crags, so he introduced me to Brownstones. Our next trip was to Millstone Edge, where we just had to do "Twikker" (after seeing the inspiring poster of Gab Regan on it, in Crags magazine). I was so tired after that day but couldn't wait to return.

When the winter came we'd go to the Bolton Tech wall in the evenings. I then realised that I'd been climbing in a bubble, whilst in North Wales, there were so many really strong climbers, eg. Dave Kenyon, John Monks, Pete Black and Mick Lovatt, to name just a few. I had lots of work to do to (try) and catch up.

Al used to regularly get his van up to 100mph, on the downhill sections of the M62, on the way back from Bolton. I was terrified.

Thanks for all the good times Al (and all the beers too). Cheers to one of the nicest blokes I've had the pleasure to know.
Photo by Steve Foxley.

Dave "Dogs" Ellison and Al Stewart getting ready to go into Cheedale, 1980.

Elaine, Willy Simm, Graeme Davis and Al Stewart gearing up at Tremadoc car park, 1981.

Al Stewart, Embankment 2, Millstone Edge, 1980.

Al Stewart, Itch, Tremadoc, 1981.

Al Stewart at Pex Hill. Photo by Steve Foxley.

Al Stewart climbing on the slate. Photo by Steve Foxley.

Al Stewart, happy boulderer. Photo by Steve Foxley.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire