mardi 5 mai 2020

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 13.

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 13.

The Lyon Brothers and Dave Cowans.

After recovering from my broken heel, Elaine and I hitched to The Pass (I remember we got a lift in a very posh Bentley). That summer ('78) we ticked more classics, mostly on The Mot. I finally moved out of my parents house in Abergele and got a flat in Colwyn bay, I also got another job (working in a small factory).

During the next two years I continued to climb with John, Brian, Huw and occasionally Pete. There was an outdoor climbing wall not far from my flat, so I was able to strengthen my fingers by traversing and making up boulder problems. During the winter I used to meet up with Keith at Llangefni and climb on the indoor wall there.

I got to know the Lyons brothers (who were starting to really develop the crags on the Ormes), especially after they gave Elaine and I a lift (in their pristine MG) from Cloggy back to Colwyn Bay one day.

Manchester climber Dave Cowan moved to the Bay, and joined our group. He had a wicked sense of humour and was always taking the piss.

Then in 1980, Elaine finished her degree and got her first teaching job in Runcorn. I left Wales and we moved in together.
Chris and Dave Lyon on the Great Orme, 1980.

Chris Lyon bouldering at Bod Afon Buttress, 1980.

Elaine and Dave Cowan at Gogarth, 1980.

"New Dimensions" with John Roberts, Castell y Gwynt on the Great Orme, 1979.

"Mur yr Ogof", Great Zawn on the Little Orme, climbs the line that you abseil down on the approach. It was the last route I climbed before leaving Wales in 1980.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire