vendredi 1 mai 2020

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 9.

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 9.

1977 ended with me having had enough of the long hours in the construction industry, Elaine starting her teaching degree in Liverpool and me having a fairly serious accident on my motorbike. I was travelling at high speed, when somebody pulled out in front of me, and I somersaulted over the roof of the car. My bike was a right off and I sustained a broken wrist and knee injuries.

1978 arrived and I needed a job. There was an ad in the Liverpool Daily Post for a job at Ellis Brighams in Liverpool. I started there straight away. It was my first taste of life in a big city. Brighams is in a real Bohemian location and it was amazing to see all sorts of people, including punks with bleached Mohicans, loons shouting at themselves, all sorts really.

The staff consisted of climbing legend (and local hard nut) Brian Molyneux, steel-fingered Welsh Scouser Ken Latham and ex army Bill Kierney. I was there for six months and had a great time, even renting a flat in L8 was interesting.

The first time I went to Pex Hill was to meet up with Keith Robertson. I didn't realise how far it was and took a black cab. That first visit was a real eye opener. Obviously I got my arse spanked (though things improved quickly). Keith had already been a few times and knew his way around the place. We got talking to a couple of locals and ended up top roping The Dateline with them. They were Chris Hughes and Tom Poole, and they were absolutely hilarious. Little did I know that I'd become a local at Pex in a couple of years.




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire