lundi 4 mai 2020

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 12.

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 12.

Gavin Peat and Tom Jones.

Gavin was a friend of Jim Jewel's. First time I saw him he was totally gripped on "Pincushion" in '77. He was there taking photos when Phil D did "Right Wall". He was at I M Marsh for a year (doing a Dip Ed) whilst Elaine was there. He was always really keen and didn't mind driving far, so we climbed a lot together for about eight years.

I remember vividly a surreal day at The Roaches, climbing in the mist with "Wish you were here" playing on my ghetto blaster, a couple of fantastic trips to Cornwall, and lots of classics on Gogarth and in the Pass. He was one of my lecturers when I went to I M Marsh in '86. He's been living in Canada now for about 25 years, he's still active in the mountains.

Tom started coming along on those trips with Gavin. I knew I was starting to climb well, in early '79, when I succeeded on "Wonderwall" after he'd failed. The same happened a few years later on "Bastille" at High Tor. The last time I saw him was at Millstone Edge in '85. I believe he's been working as a comedian and singer on cruise ships for many years. He was always very funny and great company.
Gavin Peat on "Pincushion" at Tremadoc in 1977.

Gavin Peat in The Pass, whilst working at I M Marsh in 1987.

Tom Jones attempting to smoke Twinings Earl Grey tea in Cornwall, 1979, watched by Gavin Peat.

Tom Jones at High Tor in 1983.

Tom Jones on "Bastille" at High Tor in 1983.

Tom Jones on "London Wall" at Millstone Edge in 1985.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire