dimanche 24 mai 2020

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 31.

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 31.

A couple of very special days with The Big Man.

Towards the end of our second year at I.M.Marsh we went down to Wales to practice advanced climbing and rescue techniques, under the supervision of Gavin Peat. I was paired up with Paul Mills (aka The Big Man) a really mellow, happy Scot, whose forte was sailing.

The first day was spent at Tremadoc. Paul was assigned the task of leading Meshack, my job was to fall off the top pitch and be winched by Paul to the top. It was pretty gripping to be honest but we muddled through and survived the experience. Thereafter we were allowed to climb for fun. Paul and I went off and did The Plum and First Slip, before heading to Ynys Etws, the CC hut in the Pass, where we were going to spend the night. However, there was still enough daylight to run up to the Mot and do Superdirect. Whilst I'd done all of these climbs previously it was great fun doing them again with Paul, we had had a very good day indeed.

Next day the plan was to go to Cloggy. Paul and I decided to do White Slab (which I'd never done but Elaine had). We did alternate leads and were quickly wondering what to do next. Gavin told us to do Jelly Roll (which I'd never done before either). I was amazed how well Paul was climbing, he was on fire and there was no stopping him.

Back down at the sacks and all the other students were still climbing. So there was time for one more climb. With the early evening sun shining on us, there was only one choice really, it had to be Great Wall (which I had in fact already done some years before with Elaine). Ok, Paul was happy to second by then, but he climbed it very elegently, it was a real pleasure to watch The Big Man, grinning and climbing so well on such an iconic route. What a day we'd had.

Next day we all headed to Castell Helen on Anglesey and Nancy Peterson and I were paired together. This was the same place where I first climbed above the sea, with my old school mate John Roberts back in 1975, so I could appreciate just how Nancy felt that day, as I don't think she'd done much climbing. It turned out to be another wonderful day, I had a load of fun encouraging her and she made fantastic progress doing alternate leads on Rap and Pel. Brilliant!

Unfortunately Paul screwed up on the end of year exams, so he didn't return to college that autumn. Nancy passed and graduated with me (and everyone else) two years later.

Sadly, The Big Man is no longer with us, I miss him dearly. On a happier note, Nancy is living the dream with her family in Canada (though I don't think she went into teaching).
On the way to Cloggy in 1988. Gavin Peat, Paul Mills, Duncan Potter and Nancy Peterson.

Duncan, Nancy, Gavin (with camera) and Paul en route to Cloggy, 1988.


The Big Man fooling around.

The Big Man in his element.

The Big Man.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire