samedi 16 mai 2020

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 24.

Wonderful memories of climbing with really great mates over the years Number 24.

I already knew Dave Whitlow from my days at Ellis Brigham's in 1978. He was a friend of Ken Latham's, who used to regularly pop in with his then girlfriend Gill.

Our paths crossed again three years later, when Elaine and I moved to Runcorn (during her probationary teaching year). By then Dave and Gill were married and were also living in Runcorn.

Dave had also got into climbing. He was working at Brigham's in Chester, the shop manager was Stuart Cathcart. Isn't it a small world, the climbing community? Dave was also putting his artistic skills to great use, he was the creator of the "Wee Davey" cartoons that were gracing the pages of "High" magazine at the time.

Although I only climbed with Dave a few times, one memorable weekend in early April (just before going to the Lakes with Ian McMullan - see previous post) stands out. We climbed Venom and Grim Wall Direct, at Tremadoc, and Resurrection on the Cromlech.I also had my first visits to Clwyd limestone with Dave and Stuart, a couple of rainy days at World's End and Pinfold.

A few years later I ended up working with Dave in Brigham's Chester shop, where he was then the manager. Whilst it was a big improvement on Blacks (where I had spent the previous three dull years), my heart wasn't really in it (sorry Dave). It was time for a big change. I decided I wanted to become a teacher and went to IM Marsh to start my studies for the next four years.

Nowadays Dave is the Creative Director at Ellis Brigham, where he is still putting his artist skills to use.

Happy days, where did all those years go?
On the steps at Liverpool's Ellis Brigham shop, Dave Whitlow, Robbie Mallinson and Ken Latham, in 1980.

A more recent photo of Dave Whitlow.

An example of Dave's work, from a photo shoot for Ellis Brigham.

High up on Resurrection, that day so long ago in 1981. Part of Dave is just visible, bottom right in the striped top. Other climbers are on Left Wall (left) and Cenotaph Corner (right).

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire